May 15, 2011

Motorcycle Mayhem

Last weekend I took my Indiana ABATE Motorcycle beginners rider course (BRC). I had been wanting to do it for awhile and just never got to it. You have to register pretty early in late February to get a class in the Summer. If they had an actual online registration process it might be easier,r but of course not. Why would they make it easy, this is Indiana.

I was pretty nervous going. It had been awhile since I was on the Spyder but at least I had a little knowledge of what I was doing. I think I was the least experienced person in the class. Most of the other people had bike's already and were either starting out but had ridden some or they had been riding for awhile but didn't have their endorsement.

The class was really good though, I learned a ton, passed my course evaluation and got a 100% on my test. I still need to get on a bike and ride an learn as I go but that is kind of hard without a motorcycle.

The other fun part was visiting my good friends at the BMV. First off, I still can't place what it smelled like in there. Kind of like a greenhouse, really high humidity and musty. So weird. So in Indiana you have to take a written test to get your permit, you then have to have the permit for 30 days, then you can get your endorsement if you have taken the BRC. This would have been helpful to know before my class, thanks ABATE... So instead of already having my permit and getting my endorsement, I get to wait now.

I took the test, scored good on it. I missed 2 but they don't tell you what you missed, that's helpful. Then I get to take the eye test, they ask if i have contacts and then realize my current license doesn't have a restriction for my contacts. I am like yeah when I got this 3 years ago I told them yet they didn't put it on there. So I had to get a new license too, so they match. They tried to get me to pay for the new license but I told them this isn't my fault or problem, they screwed it up. Now I look like a serial killer, I hadn't planned on getting a new photo. I hadn't shaved in a week, Indiana requires a neutral face now, no smiles, i look like I got a mugshot taken. I think I still have to get another new one in 25 days now when I get my endorsement, so it makes no sense, just a big waste of time on their part. We'll see how that goes.

2 comments:

Dave H. said...

Any chance you could post your picture? Or at least show it to us when we are down there Memorial Day weekend.

DJH

Christina said...

You can see it when you come down. Makes me laugh.